Tuesday, August 30, 2016

In Response to a Pinoy Asking about the Housing Problem in Auckland

This is not a blog post (although I really wanted to post a new one soon) but just a reply to a comment from an anonymous follower. I realized that my comment was so long that it seemed like an entire blog post already... Here it is..
Hi, first of all this is an informative blog and i hope you are doing good and you still have time to answer.
Question lang po:
1. Anong City po ba ang expensive? (state po ang house/apt rental fee)
2. Anong City po ba ang madaling makahanap ng work?
3. Mabilis po ba ang internet sa NZ?
4. Kumusta po ba ang pagkain? alin ang mahal pinoy food o kiwi food?
5. Kung sakali STUDY, then WORK, then IMMIGRATE ok po ba eto?
6. Ilang years bago makakuha ng CAP?
Marami pa po sana pero i guess above is enough and for sure yong sagot nyo ay makakatulong din katulad sa amin.
Salamat!
Hi. I only lived in two cities in New Zealand and now based in Auckland. Auckland is definitely more expensive when it comes to apartment/house rental fees; I guess it is a general rule that when you live in the highly populated areas such as Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch, the prices would be way up as compared to other cities like Palmerston North, Hamilton, Dunedin, and Invercargill. Let's say for example, in Auckland, the median average house price is NZ$780k, whereas, in Christchurch it is only NZ$420k. In Dunedin and Invercargill where I lived in the past, it is presently at NZ$300k and NZ$202k, respectively (as of May 2016).

Of course different suburban areas have different prices depending on the community. Some areas in Auckland like Glenfield in North Shore costs NZ$727k for a 3-bedroom house and the counterpart of the same-sized houses in, let's say, the neighboring suburb Milford, is NZ$1.39 million.

I guess there are jobs everywhere especially in Nursing as I get lots of emails for job vacancies every night (I subscribed to www.kiwihealthjobs.com back then in 2013 when I was looking for jobs and I purposefully didn't unsubscribe so that I will be updated of job availability in nearby hospitals). Checkout the immigration website for more details.

Internet is fast as compared to Philippine-standards. My down speed right now is 38mb per second.

Food prices are the same as far as I know. I shop in the same supermarkets (PakNSave and Countdown) in areas where I lived in the past and prices are just the same. Seasonal fruits/veggies have their lows/highs. There are Asian stores everywhere so I really can cook almost every Filipino dish I would like to try. For example, I can cook kare-kare, sinigang, adobo, bulalo, sisig, etc. as the ingredients are available in your nearby Asian stores. In Dunedin, Invercargill, and Auckland, there are Filipino stores around (and I guess same applies to every major cities where there are Filipinos). I honestly don't worry about food prices because my earnings really do go a long way (plus the fact that I do not support any person, nor I am paying for a loan [perks of being single!]. Whenever I miss Pinoy food and I am just lazy to cook, I visit nearby Pinoy restaurants.

My opinion about study-then-work is still the same (by study I mean coming here for a student visa for a 1 year course). I don't advise people to use this pathway as it will eat lots of your money. If you are a nurse with 5 years of paid experience, then achieve the IELTS requirement and work on your registration here. In my workplace, some of the healthcare assistants (HCA) have nursing backgrounds in the Philippines but they can't have their registration here because they lack the required number of nursing hours OR they can't meet the IELTS requirements. What I suggest is you gain that solid 5 years of acute hospital experience and make sure that you get at least 7 in all subtests in IELTS while in the Philippines. Checkout my other blog entry, From Middle East to Middle Earth, for more details.

I am not so up to date with CAP intakes lately but in my time, it was a struggle looking for CAP providers. My Pinoy colleagues from Saudi Arabia followed me here in New Zealand and all of them were successful in their Competency Assessment Programmes and are now working in DHBs. So I guess intakes are still mostly available.

1 comment:

Orly Gomez said...

Hi! In case of WHV, is there a restriction to apply for Skilled Migrant Visa while in NZ? Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post!