Tuesday, April 02, 2013

No Fingerprints

Hello. I'm blogging from here in the Philippines where the scorching summer heat is constantly killing my patience. Oh well, that's tropical summer! Whew!

It's my second annual vacation with my present company and I am again going back to Saudi after 40 days. And soon after I bid bye-bye to my homeland I am going to have another fingerprinting session with electronic scanners from immigration. That means another problem for the person taking my fingerprints, and another episode of here-I-go-again-explaining-why-it-is-so-difficult-to-take-my-fingerprints. Urgh.

Why is it difficult to get my fingerprints? There are two reasons, one is I have palmar hyperhydrosis or sweaty palms or better known to many Filipinos as pasmado. So literally, I have wet hands and fingers whenever I'm in a hot environment or simply my sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) is activated. More sweat can be seen when I have lotion or clay on my hands and it suddenly gets hot. In fact, one can observe the release of sweat from my fingers from a close-up view! And it continues to sweat until the trigger is gone.

The other reason is my seemingly fingerprint-less hands. It is very easy to spot that observation as my hands are almost flat! You could see prints but they aren't easily visible on paper (after applying ink) or almost nothing from a finger scanner! Fingerprint personnel from immigration counters and police stations attribute that to constant application of lotion or alcohol, or simply, you don't work much that your hands are very soft, free from fingerprints. Uhm, I apply lotion at times to moisturize my arms but just for the arms, not for the hands. By the way, the problem is only my right hand which is my dominant hand. In contrast, my left hand has got no problem. It is sweaty also but fingerprints are present. Weird eh?! Haha.

When I sent my application to California Board of Nursing for NCLEX last 2007, they returned my fingerprint cards to me twice and I had to repeat the process at NBI Carriedo back then. In the immigration counter of King Abdulaziz International Airport they had a problem taking my fingerprints as well. My prints were also taken from my Saudi company and as usual, they had a difficult time using the live scanners! Good thing they had an alternative and used the fingerprinting cards instead. Also when you take the IELTS, they will need your fingerprints to make sure you are the same person who will appear on the next exam (in case you have different exam dates/times or venue. Of course, fingerprints are also taken here in the Philippines for NBI, and you know how the NBI centers are extremely hot! And oh, before you exit Saudi or any place where you stayed for at least 6 months, you must have your fingerprints taken for clearance purposes.

A side story to the no fingerprints subject is sweaty hands; this condition has emotional and psychological impact to many. Isn't it very awkward to shake hands with people with your hands wet?! For nurses, it is a must to put on gloves before touching patients or you'll just wet your patient's hands or whatever you are touching. In fact this is one reason why I declined a post to be in surgical nursing although I aced my surgery rotation when I was a nursing student!



For sweaty hands, the only way to go on with the fingerprinting is to wipe each finger with a dry tissue or cloth. If it won't work, rub some alcohol and let the alcohol dry up and try again. If not, the proven effective way is to rub powder (baby powder) on your hands and start the process. Mind you, all these steps were done at LTO for my driver's license renewal yesterday, and the last option was truly a success! If you opt to find a permanent solution, you may have medicated solutions or gels to be applied on the palms/hands as directed by a physician. There are also anticholonergic drugs which could be taken by mouth to stop the excessive sweating but you just have to be extra cautious with the side effects. Injection of botulinum is another controversial solution (botox). Lastly, you have the option to have surgery called sympathectomy which, according to Wikipedia, relieves 85-95% of excessive sweating of patients.

Ciao!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! your blog is very informative, thank you!i just followed your instructions when i was about to take the prometric exam!and now im just waiting for my visa and hopefully a jeddah bound nurse by next month!lol!i hope you could also share tips on how to apply to a western country :) and i quote "saudi a stepping stone" :), Godbless!thanks

Anonymous said...

i have a follow up question hehe, is it easier to get high score in IELTS if you take it in Saudi or Middle east? thanksssssss

Sa Akin Lang Po said...

Hello. :) By the time you reach Jeddah next month I'll probably be in another country already. I'll leave Saudi permanently and hopefully build a better career in a 'western' country. And the plan is to create a blog entry about how to transfer from Jeddah to that 'western' country, the same way I posted some DIY entries of processes. Regarding the IELTS exam, it's exactly the same from the exams taken in the Philippines. But one shocker here is women are allowed to use headphones in the listening part of the exam, something that doesn't exist in the Philippines. Ciao!

Anonymous said...

the prometric exam blog brought me here like 1 yr ago...now im here in riyadh as a nurse and have a 2 yrs contract...im done with my 1st yr..so im really hoping for ur post on how to apply or the processes that i need to undergo in order to enter the western country...t_ues_day@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

btw this is my fb account..i knw its not a good idea posting my account..its just that Maybe im desperate to talk to some one who actually can explain briefly the processing and stuff

Sa Akin Lang Po said...

I will definitely post an entry about the western path. I guess the right thing to do right now is to practise for the IELTS, then everything will follow.

Anonymous said...

thanks for replying in my post last may 26,,,congrats! ill surely be on the look out for your advice on how to get to the western country hehe, Godbless us all!

Elysa Crysel Bactol said...

It's 2015 now. Anybody who's processing her stage 2 application like me? Hands up! Help me with saudi verification thing. Unfortunately, Im not in Jeddah anymore. What should I do? And what do I need? Help. 😞🙏🏻

gems said...

Hi i also need help i am in riyadh too.....

Danielle Angelo said...

Hi! I read the thread about sa nclex application, accdg to your profile, galing ka dito jeddah? Can you help me pls, eto po email ko makrissem3015@yahoo.com, I'm also processing ng nclex application Nasa part na ako ng securing fingerprint card, presently Andito PA din ako jeddah and mejo confused ako dito sa process ng fingerprinting kasi they give me a different card, kelangan ko din ba mag secure muna ng letter of endorsement then go to MOFA before ako dumiretso ng police station, plss help me o. I'm krisseth ofw nurse too.. :)

Danielle Angelo said...

Hi! I read the thread about sa nclex application, accdg to your profile, galing ka dito jeddah? Can you help me pls, eto po email ko makrissem3015@yahoo.com, I'm also processing ng nclex application Nasa part na ako ng securing fingerprint card, presently Andito PA din ako jeddah and mejo confused ako dito sa process ng fingerprinting kasi they give me a different card, kelangan ko din ba mag secure muna ng letter of endorsement then go to MOFA before ako dumiretso ng police station, plss help me o. I'm krisseth ofw nurse too.. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post!