Friday, August 05, 2011

My Favorite TV Shows

What's eating my time lately? Aside from work and post-graduate studies, watching US-TV shows has been one of my overseas Filipino worker's everyday activities. I have been enslaved with this habit of watching US-TV series after graduating from college; the time when newly graduated and post-board exam individuals try to relax and spend that care-free time just before getting wasted trying to look for a job and be part of the country's workforce. I am actually a late bloomer in this type of 'addiction' since it is only 2007 when I started to know that US-TV series can be so fun to watch. Well, I don't say telenovelas and teleseryes in the Philippines are a constant pain-in-the-ass to see, but there are just a very small number which I considered good and watchable. 

My entry today is solely dedicated to my favorite TV shows. Since I'm a guy, my type of shows may be a mixture of themes referring to either: war, crime, suspense, thriller, and Science-fiction. But that doesn't mean I don't involve myself in themes involving drama, love, comedy, and music; in fact the TV show Glee which stars Lea Michelle, Matthew Morrison, Jane Lynch, et. al. is in my list!

For my reader's sake, I am including the Internet and Movie Data base (IMDb) ratings (as of writing this entry) of these shows to help you decide if you will or will not consider watching these too! 

So let me start by enumerating what's in my list, in no particular order:


IMDb Rating: 7.9/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 38,429

Glee has this special spot in my heart for the sole reason that I was literally part of a Glee Club back then in college. I was part of my college of nursing's glee club which we called Nursing Chorale (Nursing Glee Club before). Being musically and performing arts-inclined has made me appreciate this show. Although musically entertaining, some of the show's plots and sub-plots are ridiculous. For instance, the show's Glee Club instructor, Mr. Shuester was fooled by his wife to a false-pregnancy for months; Finn's character was so dumb to have actually thought that staying in a bathtub with his girlfriend, Quinn, can actually impregnate her. Stupid yet hilarious!


IMDb Rating: 8.7/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 86,870

My college dorm mate was the one who introduced me about this series. I actually was hooked to this show a few weeks before the board examination that is why I believe I didn't focus much on the details and just let episodes pass by. Well, I had a shift of focus right after the board exam which probably could explain why it's only in the year 2011 that I have re-started and got hooked once again with it. Prison break's main plot revolves around a structural engineer's attempt to break out his brother in a state penitentiary. Of course, the protagonist was successful with his plans, but how he does that is much more interesting. I introduced the series to my workmates here in Saudi and I must say everybody were equally hooked too!
 



IMDb Rating: 8.8/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 31,829

Blood, gore, and sex. Much of these are present in this TV series. I must say every guy must see this show. Likewise, I also introduced this show to my colleagues here in Saudi and they became more hooked! The show is about Spartacus, a gladiator, and his struggle to find meaning about his status as a higher-standing-slave and the brotherhood he develops while in Batiatus' ludus (gladiator training 'stable').





IMDb Rating: 8.9/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 12, 973

This is the prequel to the Spartacus: Blood and Sand. This was made to give way to the actor playing Spartacus, Andy Whitfield, as he recovers from his treatment of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. The series focused on the characters of Lucretia and Batiatus (the ludus owners), the Doctore, Crixus, Gannicus, and other characters. It shows each of the character's transformation (into what and how they are in Blood and Sand) that helped the avid viewers understand them deeper.






IMDb Rating: 8.0/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 26,581

I was just influenced by my sister to see this series. She is a big fan of the 1998 film Interview with the Vampire which could have explained why she easily fell in love with this series. Well, aside from the gorgeous actors and actresses, the series appeals to the teens and the young-adults because of the show's prevailing theme: love triangle. In this series, Elena should weigh her affection to both the Salvatore 'modern-day-vampire' brothers, Damon and Stefan.





IMDb Rating: 8.3/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 20,918

My younger brother introduced me to this series, yet I outrun him on keeping updated with the latest episode. True Blood is another fantasy, drama, mystery show about vampires. Although there is a resemblance with the theme of The Vampire Diaries, True Blood is the forerunner amongst the modern-day vampire TV series. We have here Sookie Stackhouse, a waitress, who fell in love with a vampire, Bill Compton. The weird thing about this show is that vampires live with normal humans, as in they're part of the minority in the US. 







IMDb Rating: 9.2/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 33,584

Let me quote IMDb's description about the show, "A likable Miami police forensics expert moonlights as a serial killer of criminals whom he believes have escaped justice." Well, the description and the rating says it all. This show rocks!






IMDb Rating: 7.2/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 7,167

Every emergency room nurse should see this show. It started 1994 and ended with its 15th season last 2009. Well, every medically related TV show surely was compared to this classic television series; I'm talking about the likes of Grey's Anatomy, House, Scrubs, etcetera. Drama, comedy, relationship, blood, medicine, and surgery, everything's in here! Plus if you are contemplating of being an emergency room physician or nurse, then you must see this.





IMDb Rating: 9.6/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 85,988

This must be the highest rated TV series of all. Band of Brothers is a 10-episode series about a US Army troupe during the World War 2. I was actually intrigued by the very high rating from some 80+ thousand users that is why I downloaded this. Well, I might not be the target demographic of this series but I assure you, you'll be "with these guys" during the entire series. Two thumbs up!

 



IMDb Rating: 6.6/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 1,714

With all the vampires, werewolves, and shapeshifters series present, Teen Wolf has been compared to a lot of these existing shows in Hollywood.  True Blood, Vampire Diaries, and Twilight have already established a strong fan-base that must be the reason why guys and gals have rated this show average. Well, for me it's kind of a decent show; and it brings back high school/college memories. 




IMDb Rating: 7.9/10
Number of IMDb users who rated: 2,278

Did you like Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve, and Ocean's Thirteen? If you did, then you should see this TV series. Leverage is about a group of skilled thieves that steals from only the bad guys. This is another crime, drama, and mystery show that features a different storyline in each episode. My favorite character has always been Sophie Devereaux especially when she attempts to show the group her Oscar-deserving acting, not! Haha.




These are just a few addictive shows from my growing list. Sa akin lang po... an OFW doesn't need to work all day. He must also seek for activities that could keep him sane and human. Activities such as DVD and movie marathons are just a few proven things that could kill time. Happy watching!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share this post!